Saturday, March 29, 2008

Introduction

This blog will document the restoration of my 1961 Vespa VBB1T, purchased on August 20th, 2007 in dilapidated condition from a collector in Antioch, California. There was grass everywhere, even in the cylinder, and it was painted rattle can red.

Here are the Before pictures:








I should say that this is my first restoration -- I am not an expert by any stretch. I am learning as I go, and intend to use this blog to document the steps I take, and the mistakes I make, so that I can learn from it and do (even) better on the next restoration!


I choose a VBB as my first restoration project for a couple of reasons: First, because with the 8-inch wheels and rounded cowels, it very much has that sweet classic Vespa look. Second, the electrical system is simple and reliable -- no battery, kick start, should make it easier to restore. Third, parts for VBB's seem to be fairly easy to come by. I'm guessing either because a lot of them were made, or a lot are still running, or a little of both. And forth, the 61's were the first model with a 4-speed transmission, which should make driving them even more fun.


If you are reading this and you are an expert (or at least experienced) in restoring old scooters, please chime in with any advice or pointers! And if I'm doing something boneheaded, please let me know! I want to end up with a nice looking, accurate restoration of a 61 VBB, and would appreciate any and all help I can get.


9 comments:

Unknown said...

Nice blog!

N.T. Right said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

How's it coming?

BaroqueVespa said...

No progress lateley -- although I still need to add a few posts to describe the engine work and front-end work we've done. I've been spending my weekends working on the LX150 -- I decided to do the 6000 mile service myself, which involved replacing the variator belt. Which I eventually was able to do, but then the clutch started grabbing. I got some advice from ModernVespa.com on that, and got the clutch working smoothly again. So now I just need to do the fluid changes (oil, transmission, and brake) and regap/replace the spark plug, and the LX150 will be good and I can get back to the poor old VBB.

Coley said...

more updates?

BaroqueVespa said...

Thanks for asking, David! I am about to add another update -- I pulled apart the front end this past weekend, so I have some pics of that and the Sad Story of the Broken Brake Shoes... I'll put it up this week, stay tuned!

Anonymous said...

Hey, Thom here,
I got banned from MV before I could respond to your question.


If there is no shoulder behind each bearing cage/race?
You should be able to press them through with a sleeve the same diameter as the race.


If there is a shoulder that the race butts up against?
You will have to tap it out (at least one race) from the opposite side.
Then press out the last race with sleeve of a smaller diameter that clears the shoulder but catches the race edge.


Good Luck!
Thom

E.P. Sato said...

Have you checked out scooterhelp.com ?

The guy who runs it rebuilt a VBB and a few other 60's era largeframes. He may have good advice.

I'm also rebuilding a 1962 Cushman VBB right now myself, so I'll let you know if I find any unique problems.

Which reminds me, when replacing the cables, did you get stuck dealing with the housings (tubes)?

I've worked on a lot of vintage vespas, but had never seen these tubes before. It seems to be a feature unique to the VBB...

PaolaPeru said...

Hi... very nice! I wanted to ask a question. I have a 1962 VBB that is in pieces and I need to put it together, I had it taken apart so I could ship it. It is all in working condition just needs to be looked at for possible updating of parts (where needed). Problem is - I just don't know where to start - or if there are any instructions or guides on how to do this out there. I'm kind of confused and very over whelmed. Any suggestions would be awesome!!
I really enjoyed your blog,
thank you! Paola